Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Valediction Forbidding Mourning

This poem by John Donne was a bit of a tough read at first, given its length and old style english; however once I read it through a couple times and began to understand what was being said it was actually a gorgeous poem! I mean this man clearly is a romantic at heart, and although on most occassions I would find this wording likely a little too "mushy" for my likings, for some reason I find myself truly compassionate towards his message. The part about his feet draw a circle around her counterpoint foot is truly touching.

I personally like poems with a rhyming scheme, so I like that this one has the ABAB pattern throughout. Although it is a bit lengthy it is well broken up which I like. Also, despite the language is a little tougher for me to understand I do like the sound of the words - they certainly making it sound all the more romantic.

1 comment:

  1. Great job - it is important to remember that poetry doesn't always come to you right away, it often takes a little effort. Good for you. You make some really nice observations!

    ReplyDelete